Thursday, April 18, 2019

Learning about Different Cultures

At the beginning of my Hi-New-York program, I was quite sensitive to everything here. It was strange here and I didn’t know my teacher. I nervously sat on the sofa with my father and looked around.

I was surprised with my teacher Heather. She looked as young as a college student. I didn’t think she was older than me. Then, we had a private lesson. I wasn’t accustomed to the questions in the book, so I didn’t do well at first. After that, it was a group lesson with three sweet guys. I didn’t talk too much that day, but I liked the group.

In the following days, I became active, but continued to speak Chinese. After a week’s practice, I would understand what others said, and I began expressing my opinions in English. I made great progress every day with Hi-New-York. I always had Chinese food with my father, but I had a different and new type of food every day here. I learned about different cultures through the food. Finally, I had the courage to overcome my English difficulties and talked with Americans.

Thanks a lot Hi-New-York!

No comments:

Post a Comment